Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm Allowed To Change My Mind, Right?


I have now finished the tablerunner that I was using as a practice piece before piecing my Jane Stickle quilt, and I think I'm changing my mind about what thread to use for the quilting.

My initial idea was to use monofilament thread on the top because of all of the different colors in the quilt, but now that I've quilted this piece that has the same basic colors/fabrics as my DJ quilt, I don't think it's good enough.


Don't get me wrong... the combination of MonoPoly on the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin worked just fine on my machine. And the quilting shows up well enough on the "plain" batiks...but it disappears on the batiks that have more color and design to them. I don't plan to do an overall quilting pattern on my DJ, but to quilt each block individually. And since I'm hoping that it will be my "magnum opus", I want everything to be right, not just good enough.

So that means that I have to go back to my original thought (and the suggestion made by several of my quilting friends)...that is, to quilt it using different colors of thread to match the individual blocks....and that means buying thread in every color of the rainbow....

And with all of the thread changes ahead, it will take a lot longer to finish.

Here's a shot of what the quilting looks like on the back. I was very pleased with the combination of threads.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes you must take your time in making your decisions and it looks great!

Susan said...

Yes, you are absolutely allowed to change your mind! Better to do it now than to have to do a lot of ripping later!

Heather said...

I think I used 4 different colours to quilt the one I am working on now.

Diane said...

It will take a while longer to quilt with all the color changes but you will be glad you did after the final stitch is done.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

I agree--about your being able to change your mind and about your thread decision. I will not call you a flip-flopper.

Cecilia said...

I just did a strip quilt similar and used a variegated thread to quilt it. Take a look www.ceciliaquilts.blogspot.com